Second Language Policy

A student meets the minimum requirement if admitted to the University with three years of a single foreign language in high school, or the equivalent. When the years of study have been split between high school and earlier grades, the requirement is met if the student has successfully completed the third-year high school level course. If the student doesn’t meet the aforementioned requirements, then they must pass the second semester of the intermediate sequence in a language, OR both the elementary and intermediate levels of study in a single language.

Students in Liberal Arts & Sciences who have not passed a third-year high school-level course in a single foreign language must complete the CLAS language requirement by:

  1. High school work and an added year (2 semesters) of intermediate level college courses, or
  2. Two years (4 semesters) of a single foreign language through the intermediate level in college.


Contacts for Language Departments

Spanish Professor Eduardo Urios-Aparisi
French Professor Eliane DalMolin
860-486-3258Professor Valerie Saugera
German Professor Manuela Wagner
Italian Professor Philip Balma
Ancient Greek & Latin Professor Roger Travis
Hebrew and Judaic Studies, Modern and Biblical Hebrew Professor Stuart Miller
ALL other languages Professor Florence Marsal


Implementation Guidelines

  • If a student enters the university with less than 3 years of a foreign language (as stated in the Second Language Competency of the General Education Requirement), s/he must then successfully complete the elementary level (followed by the intermediate level), OR the second semester of the intermediate level of a language. Students in CLAS will need 4 semesters or 2 years in a single foreign language under this circumstance.
  • If a student has had 3 years of a foreign language from an American High School and wishes to repeat the first two semesters, or elementary level, while at UConn, s/he will not earn credits toward his/her degree by doing so.
  • If a student has had 3 years of a foreign language from an American High School and wishes to study more of the same language, s/he can take – and will get credits for – anything above the second semester, or elementary, level.
  • If a student who has taken a foreign language at the high school is registered for the intermediate, or second year, level, and cannot perform at this level, s/he needs to contact the head of Modern and Classical Languages who, in consultation with the Instructor of record and the directors of foreign language program will guide the student on a suitable course of action.
  • Transfer Students w/ Three Years of High School Foreign Language: If a transfer student was placed in an elementary foreign language course through a proficiency exam at another institution, despite having studied that language for 3 years in High School, s/he may contact the Head of Modern and Classical Languages about permission to receive credits for the elementary courses.  Credits will only be given if the student can present evidence of a policy from the other university’s catalog demonstrating that s/he had to take a placement test and thus was required to take the elementary courses.
  • English as a Second Language: If a student has an existing second-language ability not developed through coursework (for example, a student whose native language is not English, bilingual students, or heritage speakers) s/he may, with the approval of the Head of the Languages, Cultures and Literature department (Dr. Gustavo Nanclares), demonstrate his/her second-language competency through examination or by showing proof that English is not his/her native language (e.g., High school transcripts, ESL courses, etc.).  The student should contact Dr. Nanclares as soon as possible when beginning their academic career. This is especially critical for “less-commonly-taught languages” where outside consultants might be needed and the examination may take some time to arrange.