Frequently Asked Questions

How do I set up an appointment?
Students can make an advising appointment by calling our main office at (860) 486-2822. If you have an advising question but you’re not sure if you require an appointment, please fill out our general questions form or email
How do I get the CLAS Dean’s signature?
The Academic Services Center has staff members who are authorized to sign on behalf of the Dean. Stop by the Center’s main office in the Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education, room 130 to obtain a Dean’s signature. Please be aware that you may need to make an appointment to meet with an advisor to potentially obtain a signature.
Who is my advisor?
Once you formally declare your major, you will be assigned an advisor in that major. Your advisor’s contact information is listed on your student center page in PeopleSoft.
How do I declare my major?
To formally change your Major/Program to CLAS please visit our on-line Program/Plan Change site.  Click here for a list of CLAS departments, the majors they offer and the person you will need to contact.
How do I declare a minor?
To formally declare a minor in CLAS please visit our on-line Program/Plan Change site.
What do I do if I am in ACES and am interested in a CLAS major?
To formally change your Major/Program to CLAS please visit our online Program/Plan Change site.
Will the minor be listed on my diploma?
No, the minor will only be listed on your transcript.
I want to double major; what do I do?
Click here to obtain a double major form.  Fill out the top part, take it to both major departments and have an advisor sign for each.  Return it to the ASC to have it approved and processed.
What if I want to do an additional degree in another school?
You can get an additional degree form from your present school or the one you want to add.  You can also do two degrees in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.  We have the forms to start this process at the Academic Services Center. Please keep in mind that each school/college within UConn has its own procedures for declaring an additional degree.
What is the difference between an additional degree and a double major?
A double major can be earned in two majors offered by CLAS only.  You cannot earn a double major in two different schools or colleges.  Your diploma will have one degree and will list two majors i.e. BA in English and Sociology.  An additional degree can be earned in two different schools or colleges with an added 18 credits at the 2000-level over the degree with the higher credit requirement.  You will receive two degrees ie. BA in English and BS in Engineering and at graduation you will receive two diplomas. Please see our Degree Options page for more information.
I want to register for a course that is full. What can I do?
You can ask the instructor of the course if you can over-enroll. Typically, only the instructor can grant this permission.
What if I want to take more than 17 credits next semester?
If you earned a 2.6 term GPA in the previous semester (not including summer or winter) you can take 18 credits without permission. If you had a 2.6 or above in the previous term but are still unable to enroll in 18 credits contact the Office of the Registrar (860-486-3331) for assistance. If you are seeking excess credit, please fill out the Excess Credit Form.
Can I drop a course after the ninth week of classes?
In certain rare circumstances, students may drop a course after the ninth week of the semester. If a student feels there is an extenuating circumstance that would merit a late drop the student should contact the ASC to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss (860-486-2822).  The student must provide evidence, through documentation, that extenuating circumstances beyond their control prevented them from dropping the course during the 9-week drop period. Please note that exceptions are not made for a student’s poor academic performance.
What if I want a substitution?
Permission to substitute a course you have taken for a course required to complete your degree can be given by the staff of the Academic Services Center under certain circumstances. For more information about the substitution process or to make a request, please visit the Substitution Request page.
Can students take a course elsewhere while at UConn?
Many students take courses at colleges closer to home over the summer or during intersession.  To do so, students should obtain in advance a “Prior Course Approval” form from the Transfer Admissions office, where it will be determined if the course will transfer or not.
Will a course taken elsewhere count toward a General Education requirement?
Students should consult their advisor to determine whether or not the course will fulfill a general education requirement or count as an elective.
Will courses taken elsewhere count toward my grade point average?
No. It is standard for all colleges to count only work done within the institution for the grade point average and for honors designations. Thus, the course and the credits transfer but the grade does not.  In addition, the University requires that the student earn a C or better in a course for it to be eligible for transfer.
What about courses taken at the UConn regional campuses?
These are UConn courses. They count the same as any other UConn courses, and no transfer action is required.
Can students transfer work toward major requirements?
Only courses taken at UConn can be applied towards the 2000-level major requirements, unless an exception is made by the student’s major department and Dean. Transfer Admissions can supply students with the name of the designated department evaluator who will review the transfer coursework to evaluate its equivalency.