Registration & Graduation Issues

Below is a list of undergradute issues, when they tend to arise and the policies and procedures for resolving them.



Time Line



To keep in mind…

Late August – early September Permission numbers Permission numbers are distributed at the discretion of the instructor and/or department of a course. Students should consult with their advisor to determine who to contact for permission to enroll. Permission numbers override most PeopleSoft restrictions. As a result, students may face registration issues in subsequent semesters, specifically if the student has not taken prerequisites for the course, or are taking the course out of sequence.
After 10th day of classes Adding and/or dropping classes after day 10 After the 10th day of classes students must get the permission of their advisor to withdraw from courses and will receive a “W” on their transcript. To add courses, students must get permission from the instructor, department, and Dean’s designee in the Academic Services Center. If a student’s request involves simply switching from one section of the same course to another section, it is at the discretion of the department whether or not the student will receive a W on their transcript. Students should consult with financial aid to determine if dropping a course(s) will affect their aid package.
Pre-registration Advising holds Some CLAS departments place advising holds on students in their major(s). Fro these programs, faculty and/or staff advisors and require their advisees to meet with them prior to registration. After meeting with the assigned advisor advising bars are lifted. Other holds on a student’s account may prevent them from registering. If a hold other than an advising hold is on the student’s account the student should contact the department that initially placed the hold.
Excess Credit Students must have earned a term GPA of 2.6 or higher in the previous semester to qualify for excess credit. Students who have earned a 2.6 or higher in their previous semester are allowed to enroll in up to 18 credits. Requests for any additional credits must be made to the CLAS Academic Services Center where they will be reviewed. There is limited flexibility in granted excess credit requests. A Dean’s designee in the Academic Services Center will make the final determination about whether or not to grant excess credit. No CLAS student is allowed to take more than 22 credits in any term.
9th week of classes Late Drop Requests In certain rare circumstances, students may drop a course after the ninth week of the semester. Students who feel they have an extenuating circumstance must contact the CLAS ASC to schedule an appointment with an ASC advisor to discuss.  The student must provide evidence, through documentation, that extenuating circumstances beyond their control prevented them from dropping the course during the 9-week drop period. Exceptions are not made for a student’s poor academic performance. Evidence must clearly show that there were circumstances beyond the student’s control that prevented them from dropping the course during the normal drop period. Student seeking a withdraw due to health/medical concerns should reach out to the Center for Students with Disabilities.
After grades have been entered Grade Changes Grade change requests will only be honored if there has been a clerical error. Instructors can submit grade changes through PeopleSoft.


Substitutions for Major Requirements If a student/advisor requests a substitution for a requirement in the major the Registrar requires approval from both the advisor and the Dean’s designee. Advisors working with students who inquire about the potential of  substitutions should reach out to the Assistant Dean or Director of the CLAS ASC to discuss request.
Academic Adjustments Students with a diagnosed learning difference may petition for academic adjustments for their university language or quantitative requirements. Students must meet with a CLAS representative and the Center for Students with Disabilities prior to submitting a petition. Academic adjustments involve granting substitutions for language and/or quantitative courses and apply only to the university general education requirements. Click here for the policy and procedures for academic adjustments. Adjustments for the additional CLAS requirements will be determined by a representative of the CLAS Dean in the Academic Services Center.
Pass/Fail Option Students who have earned at least 24 credits and are not on scholastic probation may place three courses, for no more than a total of 12 credits, on Pass/Fail. To place a course on Pass/Fail option, students must get approval from their advisor. If a student wants to place two or more classes in one semester on Pass/Fail option the student must get permission from both their advisor and the Dean’s Designee in the CLAS ASC.  Student have until the 10th day of classes to place a course on pass/fail. Courses placed on Pass/Fail do not satisfy the General Education Requirements, the major or related requirements, or any school or college course requirement. Courses placed on pass/fail do not have an effect on the GPA but do allow the student to earn credits towards graduation. Pass/Fail credits may not be accepted when a student changes majors or schools within the university. Pass/Fail credits might not transfer to another institution.