The General Education Oversight Committee (GEOC) approved a revised set of general education requirements for the University of Connecticut, which came into effect in May 2005. In addition to the minimum requirements set out by GEOC, CLAS has additional requirements that students must fulfill in order to graduate with a CLAS degree. Below are the competencies and content areas that CLAS students must fulfill.
|Second Language Competency
- 3 years of a second language (high school)
- 2 years of a second language (high school) plus 2 semesters of intermediate college level (same language)
- 2 semesters (elementary) and 2 semesters (intermediate) college level second language
- Completion of language equivalency exam
(click here for an overview of options for completing the second language requirement)
|Writing Competency (W)
- English 91002 and 91003 (transfer courses) OR
- English 1010 or 1011
- 2 “W” (writing intensive) courses, one of which must be an approved ‘W’ in the major.
|Quantitative Competency (Q)
- 3 “Q” courses, one of which must be Mathematics or Statistics
|Arts & Humanities
- 5 courses; one each from Arts, Literature, History, Philosophical/Ethical Analysis; the additional course may be from one of these four groups or from the World Cultures category.
- 2 courses from 2 different academic units.
|Science & Technology
- BA: 2 laboratory sciences courses from different academic units or 1 laboratory science and 1 non-laboratory science course from different academic units.
- BS: Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics sequences, plus one Biology course.
|Multiculturalism & Diversity
- 2 courses, at least one of which come from the International category.
2017 – 2018 General Education Requirements Sheet